Friday, January 27, 2012

Choices

One of the aspects of this new "normal" is having to choose.  I know when I first got sick, I posted a link to facebook that had an article called "The Spoon Theory". 

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory-written-by-christine-miserandino/

This article does a great job of explaining how limited energy means having limited choices.  Before getting sick I could do just about whatever I wanted, when I wanted.  Having the energy to do anything was never something I really gave much thought before.  Boy have things changed!  Since getting sick, it's no longer how much I can get done in one day - it's about being able to do anything on a given day.

For example, today is Friday and I have a few options as to what I might do today.  I really need to do some laundry.  Fortunately, that's an easy chore.  It doesn't require much physical activity.  But, on Friday's, I usually try to spend a short time in the afternoon with a young lady from our church who is being home schooled and needs help with math.  What's different about this Friday is that our church is also offering a viewing of the movie "Courageous" at 7pm.  You see, before getting sick, I wouldn't have thought twice about doing any of those things because I could have done them all and then some all in one day.  Now, I have to choose.  On top of that, I've been awake since 3:30 am (for the second straight night in a row now) and being able to do any of these things is now in jeopardy.  If I'm able to get a good nap in (maybe even two), I might be able to pick one activity to do.

I hate having to pick between things like this because both are worthwhile activities.  (I hate even more not being able to do any of them if it turns out to be a bad day.)  Let's be positive though and say that today, after a great nap and some lunch I start feeling a bit better and feel up to helping Des with her math for a bit.  Do I go ahead and take advantage of the little energy I have to do that now or do I not have her dad bring her over because I am going to try to save all energy for actually trying to get out of the house to see a movie I've been wanting to see?  It's a gamble because I could stay off having Des come over and then later that day start feeling crummy again.  Then I miss both.  But, if the gamble pays off - I could actually get to get out of the house for a bit (for something other than another doctors appointment) and see some of my church family whom I miss so much!

Sometimes, choices are easier and sometimes harder.  Sometimes you don't get a choice, your body chooses for you.  Thankfully, there are days now when standing at the stove to make a quick dinner doesn't totally drain me, but there are still bad days when I know it's all I can do stand long enough to heat a bowl of (gluten free) soup in the microwave or make a quick sandwich.  Other things your body chooses for you can be whether you get dressed and do your hair or you stay in your pj's and hope no one knocks on the door.  (Especially now that you have a perm and your hair looks a hot mess if you don't have the energy to do it! haha) 

Now let me be clear, I'm not writing any of this for sympathy or for people to feel sorry for me.  What I am hoping this will do is help those who have "unlimited" energy understand the dilemma people with chronic illness face.  Sometimes I have to say no because I don't have a choice.  Sometimes I have to say no because another option presents itself and it's an important one.  Whatever the case, please keep in mind that our limited supply of "spoons" only dictates what we're able to do not what we wish we could do.  In this case, our actions aren't able to speak nearly as loudly as our words and you still having faith in us in spite of that is what helps us through - knowing you won't condemn us for having to make the choices we do.

7 comments:

  1. that is a great prompting for the healthy crowd to thank God every day 4 granting us the privilage of doing things all day long! i am challenged to be in prayer every day for those i know who are suffering from bodily weaknesses and broken parts. as they say, hang in there by hanging onto God's love and understanding! dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I really appreciate this blog...it makes me think about all of the things you and others are going through. Your dad is right, in that it should prompt others to feel blessed to be able to do many things in one day. I really hope you have the energy to go to the movie tonight. Unfortunately, we won't be there because Hunter has practice, but I will pray that you can go. Andy will be so happy to have you on his arm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx Dad - love you!!

    Hey Ali - Thx so much. I hope so too but if not, we will have fun watching a favorite show of ours here at home. :0) I also need to remember that God makes us strong in our weakness and in a strange way, having these choices to make give me a regular opportunity to chose Him or to be selfish. Too bad you won't be there - it would be great to see you if we made it but hopefully next time! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there girlie:) I'm praying that as you continue to heal that you will look back at days like today and see how far you have come. Days like this really do make you treasure the good days. Every time I get stressed about the house being a mess or laundry being up to our eyeballs I remember to be joyful because there was a time when I would have given anything for us to be home with the kiddos having them make a mess of our house:) I remember when that thought hit me, I was doing dishes not to long after Greg was released from the hospital and all I could think about was how something so simple you do everyday suddenly means so much more when you haven't been able to do it for months. I'm praying for the day that you can wake up and enjoy everything you have planned for the day and that you won't have to pick and choose:) Love ya girlie:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thx Karen!! I look forward to the day when I can look back and feel good about things like dishes again. :0) Thx for sharing - you and G have been a source of inspiration to me because I can see you guys on the other side of things and have hope that we'll be there someday! Love you hon and thanks so much for the prayers!! :0) *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a long road girlie and we would have never made it w/o amazing friends like you guys:) Know that even though we can't be there to help w/house work, bring you guys a meal or just hang out(we SO wish we could!), we can and will pray for you guys and I'm only a text or phone call away if you ever need to vent, talk etc:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Karen - I soooo wish you could too!!! :0) I will take you up on that one of these days - if nothing else just so we can catch up. Love you mucho! :0)

    ReplyDelete